As i go along my natural hair journey, I've come to realize that when wearing short hair, styles can be quite elusive. Majority of styles out there work better for longer hair; so I've been on a hunt for fly styles that TWA wearers can rock. I've come across several that I like and I have a feeling you'll like them too. I'll be posting one or two style at a time over the next few weeks, if you can't achieve these
styles by yourself, print the instructions and carry to the salon;-)
1. Comb / Finger Coils Style
This is a nice & neat style for short natural hair. The difference between comb coils and finger coils is the ‘tool’ used i.e fingers or comb.
- On Freshly washed hair, apply a little of your regular leave-in conditioner
- Section your hair in small parts (as if braiding or twisting) and detangle.
- Apply non-alcoholic styling gel to smooth and hold the coil.
- Twist that section clockwise using a rat-tail comb. Do this gently from the root while sliding the comb upwards until its out of the hair.
- Alternatively, use your fingers. Twirl your hair around your index finger until it forms a coil.
- Dry the hair for 30-45min (the coils should be firm to touch when dry)
2. Coil-Out Style
- Follow the instructions above to make coils.
- Once dry, unravel each coil starting from the roots.
- Separate each coil into 4 or 5 parts to create fullness. The more you separate the fuller the look.
*Be warned, if left unwashed/unraveled for several months, coils become locs.