Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, 4 May 2011

African Hair Care - How to Grow Long Natural Hair



It can be an uphill task caring for African hair. It takes extra effort. Black hair is different from other types of hair because of its unique fibre formation; from the amazing burst of curls from the scalp, black hair fibers are by far the most versatile of all hair types. The curl patterns and textures are so diverse, from kinky to near-straight throughout the black race around the world. Due to this facts, it requires a few steps of extra care to make sure your hair grows strong and healthy.

How To:
A-Must-Have-List:

• A Daily Leave-in moisturizer
• Water
• A Wide toothed comb
• Hair wrap (preferably satin scarf or bonnet)
• Deep conditioner/Treatment

1. MOISTURIZE - USE WATER.

For good health and elasticity your hair, water is essential. Drink plenty of water every day and don't be afraid to wet your hair between washes; natural hair and water are best of friends! You can also use water-based moisturizers. You can look at previous post on moisturizing black hair.

2. AVOID HEAT

Heat styling can be very damaging to African natural hair. For any hair as a matter of fact. Look for styles that require little to no heat like twists, twist-out, braids, braid-outs, Bantu knows, cornrows etc. Air drying or towel drying are the best but if you have to blow dry, use the lowest heat setting.

3. AVOID TANGLES AND KNOTS

Detangle your hair when wet and soaked in conditioner. There are also many detangling creams in the market to help you along with that somewhat hair-raising task depending on the length and texture of your hair. Always use a wide toothed comb to take out any tangles that may be in your hair; start from the ends of the hair and move to the roots. Never comb from the roots to the ends until your hair is completely untangled.

4. DEEP CONDITION OR HOT OIL TREATMENT MONTHLY

For your hair to thrive you should do a deep conditioner or oil treatment at least once a month. You don't need to go to a salon to do this. Apply a deep conditioner after washing, put on a plastic hair cap and wrap your head in a towel instead. For Hot Oil, warm the oil in a bowl in your microwave for 3 min or to your desired temperature as along as it remains warm, not hot. Apply generously tip to scalp and as above, wear a plastic cap and wrap with a warm towel. You can sun-warm your towel outside for 1 hour in advance.

5. DON'T WASH TOO OFTEN.

Black hair is naturally dryer than other types. Only wash your hair every week to week and a half. Washing your hair too often robs it off it natural oils and moisture and can lead to extremely dry hair that breaks easily. Learn to ‘listen’ to your hair, when it needs a wash, you will feel, it will tell you. After washing, always use a leave-in conditioner.

6. WRAP YOUR HAIR

Before going to bed, wrap your hair in a scarf. A silk wrap or satin scarf is best as it doesn’t matt your hair or absorb moisture form it. A satin pillowcase is just as good but you want to avoid sleeping directly on cotton pillowcases because they can dry out and snag your hair, causing breakage.

7. AVOID THE SWEAT ON YOUR HAIR

After you exercise be sure to rinse your hair out. The salt in your sweat can dry out your hair and also do damage.

8. EAT A BALANCED DIET

Eating a balanced diet to provide the essential vitamins and nutrients required for healthy hair growth. The easiest way to care for your hair is to start from the inside. Taking multi-vitamin is also another way to boost health hair growth.

9. MASSAGE YOUR SCALP

Be good to your scalp and it will be good to your hair. Massaging your scalp on a daily basis will increase blood blow and oil production.

10. OIL YOUR SCALP

RESIST greasing your scalp with petroleum Jelly, petrolatum or mineral oil based products, this will cause hair breakage, splitting, and thinning. Now, if you grew up having your hair caked with some grease in the name of ‘oiling’ your hair, you probably do the same to date. STOP. Use natural oil like shea butter that melts readily to oil your scalp on a daily or every-other-day basis. Other natural oils like olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, soybean oil etc are the real deal; they will keep your hair flexible and moisturized. It will also add sheen to hair. Always apply oil only AFTER you applied a water-based moisturizer.

Grow those tresses!
XX

27 comments:

  1. Could I just add, drink lots of water...not too much though, the recommended 8 glasses should do. Good advice though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @NM-Thanks for the advice, very import point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this web page from my friend who shared with me on the topic
    of this web page and now this time I am visiting this web site and reading very informative posts at this
    time.

    My website :: Replica Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site,
    how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

    My web blog: 激安プラダ バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! I just would like to give you a huge thumbs up for your
    great info you've got here on this post. I'll be coming back to your web site for more
    soon.

    My web-site; ロレックスレプリカ

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up everyone, it's my first visit at this website, and post is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these
    content.

    Stop by my blog post ... レイバンサングラス

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and coverage!

    Keep up the excellent works guys I've added you guys to blogroll.

    Also visit my weblog - rayban サングラス

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi every one, here every person is sharing these know-how, therefore
    it's nice to read this blog, and I used to pay a quick visit this weblog every day.

    Here is my web page: More Signup bonuses

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I've
    found It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads.
    I'm hoping to contribute & assist other customers like its aided me. Great job.

    Feel free to surf to my page - Replica Watches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone, it's my first pay a visit at this web site, and piece of writing is genuinely fruitful in support of me, keep up posting such articles or reviews.

    my web site; air max

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you desire to obtain a great deal from this piece of writing then you have to
    apply these strategies to your won website.

    Take a look at my web-site ... He Has A Good Point

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your website. It's a very easy on the
    eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit
    more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Exceptional work!

    Visit my page ... christian louboutin outlet

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a
    little more in the way of content so people
    could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.

    Maybe you could space it out better?

    Stop by my homepage: cheap nike air max

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its like you read my mind! You appear to grasp so much approximately this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something.

    I feel that you just can do with a few % to power
    the message house a bit, however instead of that, this is excellent blog.

    A great read. I will definitely be back.

    My blog; cheapnikeairmaxam.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your style is really unique in comparison to other people I have
    read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you have the opportunity,
    Guess I will just book mark this page.

    Also visit my blog ... cheap nike air max

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've learn some just right stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you put to create the sort of excellent informative website.

    Here is my blog - www.dwarffortress.es

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it when people come together and share ideas. Great website,
    keep it up!

    my web blog: tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post! We will be linking to this particularly great content on our site.

    Keep up the great writing.

    Also visit my site :: CHI Hair Straightener

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello there and thank yοu for уour information – I have certainly рickеd up anуthing new from
    right heгe. I did howеver expеrtise somе technical isѕues using this website,
    as Ι experienced to reload the site a lot
    of times ρrеvіous to I could get it to loаd proрегly.

    I had been ωonԁering if youг ωeb host is OK?
    Nоt that I'm complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and can damage your quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I'm
    adԁing thiѕ RЅЅ to my emаіl and coulԁ look out for
    a lot more of yοur respectіve excitіng content.

    Ensurе that you update this again
    ѕοon.

    Also visit my blog poѕt - how to make your hair grow faster

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Finally I got a weblog from where I can really get useful data concerning my study and knowledge.


    Here is my weblog; fake Rolex watches

    ReplyDelete
  21. I delight in, lead to I found exactly what I used
    to be looking for. You have ended my four day lengthy hunt!
    God Bless you man. Have a great day. Bye

    My blog - Air max billig (realschuhe.com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good post....hair care is so important to get the healthy hair we all want.
    Donna
    Website Owner
    http://hair-caretips.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I got this web page from my friend who shared with me on the topic
    of this web page and now this time I am visiting this web site and reading very informative posts at this time.

    Treatments to Re-Grow Hair

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome.

    herbalhills

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice Post.Thanks for sharing this valuble information and it is useful are looking for hair transplant costs in gurgaon

    ReplyDelete